Sunday, March 16, 2008

I LOVE LIFE HERE!

Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god. =) x 10000000

I have a boy. I have a CUTE boy. I have a cute, foreign, hilariously random boy who "really likes me".

Am I dreaming? I must be.

Life is so much better than 2 months ago, losing my passport, no friends and all that jazz.

So anywho, as I said. I met Johannes for lunch last wednesday at the McDonalds near Casa da Musica (sometimes there's just no escaping American food). We had a lovely lunch, then just sat on a bench in the rotunda, trading different types of American/Faroese music. We walked to the bus stop and low and behold I got on the wrong bus. Ended up being late to history, but the teacher loves me. And guess what! I got a 16 on a history test!!! They use the 20 point scale and that's actually a really good grade! Probably would correspond to a B or maybe even an A or something here. We had a foro in Gym and we just sat outside talking and singing, it was a really good bonding time with the girls from my class. We hadn't clicked before, but Wednesday we sort of did, it was cool. After school I met with Nuno to talk and he's just so awesome. It was a good day for me and he was like "Exchange is like that, today has been great, and tomorrow could be a waffle day!" Me: "umm you mean awful?" him: "ya!!". He also said something along the lines of "Give me the scoop Caroline! Everyone already knows about you and Johannes!". It was fairly cute.

Tuesday...oh Tuesday. Such a perfect day =). I met with Johannes in the morning for breakfast near his house, (he took my books in his backpack because they were heavy! sweet isn't it?) then we climbed the Torre dos Clerigos, the tallest tower in Portugal (look it up!).

Random divergent story to show how small a world it is: I was wearing my Carnegie Mellon Sweatshirt, and on the way up the steps of the church a man stopped me and said "do you go to Carnegie Mellon?". I said "no, but I'd like to go there, we're exchange students here". He said "oh! I'm a professor there, I just gave a talk in Lisbon and now we're seeing Portugal". I was a bit taken aback and said "oh, do you know Randy Pausch?". He said "Not in drama, but professionally yes, he's a colleauge of mine" I said "oh my god, he's my friend's uncle!". small world eh?

So anywho, back to climbing the tower. It was freaking tall. And when we got to the top we basically were beat. It was a beautiful view though and I took some pictures- don't forget to check the photobucket by the same name! We stayed up there for a bit then went back down...a lot easier! We had lunch at an outdoor cafe, Johannes has this thing about maionaise...don't ask me....But yea. We ended up getting on the wrong train (WTF WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN WHEN WE GET TOGETHER?!?!) Then we were saying goodbye and....
well...

I leave the rest up to you ;)

But I got to school, and we just watched a movie in history. I got my math test back (15.5, one of the highest grades in the class and it was scored the same as everyone else'!!!). German we watched a movie...greaaaat day =)

Friday there was this random strike because people really aren't happy with the government and their education reforms so there was no school. Vacation had begun! I met with three girls from school for lunch in Porto (I got a happy meal!) and some mochachocs, and random hanging out. We left for Lisboa Friday night, got there, had dinner with the avo, and then off to bed.

Saturday I woke up, had some breakfast, then went to this huge mall where I met Alyssa and Martina! Well, I met Alyssa, Martina was really late...but we just talked and quasi-shopped and had icecream. We finally met Martina but only had about half an hour all three together until I had to leave. But now, ALYSSA MIGHT COME NEXT WEEK TOO!!! We have to get it cleared through AFS but I don't see the problem...

After the mall we had lunch at avo's house, then drove past Baixa (didn't stop, so sad) to the rio where the pais registered for this marathon thing. We went to this monument thing and this really beautiful monastary, and tried to go to the Torre de Berem, but could for some reason. Then we drove to Cascais as the sun was setting on the ocean, beautiful drive! Sunday I slept basically forever and stayed in the house all day. Unfortunately I accidentally kissed an old man...damn you beijinhos. The old people here...We were watching a nature show and this one tiny little old lady was yelling at the cheetahs as if it were a futbol game. Then we had "lunch" for about 3 hours...the old people got a little tipsy off some whisky and showed me all this noncirculating money. So random. Then Ines and I went back to the mall so she could buy some shoes and after that we headed back to Porto where we had dinner and now I'm writing this! Actually a very uneventful weekend. I would've liked to see a lot more in Lisboa, but maybe next time!

Anywho I better go sleep, I'm spending tomorrow in Porto and I want to be well rested =)

No comments: