Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The new kid...part 2

Sorry I’ve been a bit MIA, just haven’t had time to sit and write everything out, so here’s an overview of the past 4 days.

Sunday - not much worth writing. Basically just watched Pearl Harbor (with Portuguese Subtitles, of course). Took a walk, wrote some, had dinner…bummed around the house.

Monday – actually a very good day! The weather was gorgeous and I didn’t have morning classes. I woke up around 9, took a shower, and decided to go for a walk. As I made my way towards the river, I stopped at a café for a breakfast of Bolo de Arroz – a sort of lemony pound cake -, yogurt, and café com leite. After suitably stuffing myself, I walked to the sundial sculpture and met with Inês at Bea’s café. We went to buy some notebooks (writing has taken up a lot of time in which I would otherwise be homesick).

Around noon we caught the metro to go to school. In school we had English – easy, Art – wrote, and Geometry – read a book. Classes (called aulas) ended around 6:30 and we headed back home. When we got into Fernando’s car, he had a riddle for me. He told me I had a “Forest Burning Letter” at home. It took a minute but I soon realized he meant that my letter from the Burns had arrived! It was waiting for me in the hall but I decided to wait until after dinner to open it in order to build the anticipation a bit longer.

The dinner was traditionally Portuguese, made especially for me to try. It started with a sort of vegetable soup. The main course included Bacalhau (the national dish) with olive oil, chickpeas and onion, potatoes, spinach, and egg. Can’t say it was my favorite thing in the world but it wasn’t half bad – Kip you definitely should try it when you come. After dinner, Fernanda brought out a delicious chocolate cake she’d made because “Caroline tem suldades” – I had been homesick.

Finally – I could open my letter! It definitely brightened my day. I can’t provide details of the contents online, lest the wrong person read it, but let me just say John Burns is my hero. If you want to know what it is, just ask. A hint: JF is famous for it’s colorful rules…and now I have a piece of them! =)

Tuesday – fairly decent. I woke up around 6:00 (yucky) to get ready for school. I still hadn’t been placed in a permanent class so I was still going with Ines to class. Inês, her friend, and I went to breakfast at “Café Beomia”. We then caught the bus to school where we had Geometry and Filosofia. I had lunch with Julia, the other American AFSer at my school. It was really nice to talk (in good English) with someone who’s been through the same stuff as I’m going through now. I’m still lacking Portuguese friends, but I’ve made some good contacts with the other exchange students. After lunch there was Portuguese, Art History, and Gym. It was an okay day. When I got home (we walked) I tried to explain the Superbowl to Inês and Fernando. Fernando made homemade pizza and we ate at the kitchen table – very rare! We almost always eat at the dining room table.

Wednesday – Today started out AWFUL! I felt so homesick. Everyone had left the house, so I was home alone and couldn’t go for a walk or anything because I didn’t have a key – complete bummer. I had some yogurt and bread and watched Cartoon Network and Dr. Phil. I was really starting to feel awful about the time I had to leave for the metro. Since Inês wasn’t home, I had to go by myself. I got a bit lost on the way, but just had to look for the aqueducts and I could find my way. I successfully arrived at school (thank god) after having to do everything alone.

I went with Inês to her first class – English, but after that we went back to the secretary to check on my classes. And they had me in a permanent turma!!! 11M is my turma – humanidades. I started in Gym. They told me I had to pick a particular section to participate in, and the one I picked was all guys and only one girl! It’s pretty cool though because I have a lot of one on one with the teacher who speaks pretty fair English, and the one other girl. After that I went to my English class, and I’d already met the teacher in the Library on Tuesday! She was really nice, and got me to read a lot to demonstrate how a native speaker talks. It was really cool. I already knew one of the girls in the class as well, she’s a friend of Julia (Julia’s host brother’s – who’s in the US – girlfriend). Everyone was really nice and excited to meet me, I hope I make some good friends in the class!

I came home and had a letter from Tim (god I LOVE snail mail, I’m so keeping up the habit when I get home, it’s just more fun than email), which was pretty hilarious as well. Fernanda also got a letter from Eunice Neto about my passport. I’m supposed to go to Lisboa Monday to apply in person at the US embassy for my passport. I also have an invite to dinner with some kids from Ines’ class for Pedro’s birthday, and Sunday I will hopefully be able to go to Porto with some of the other AFSers. Tomorrow I have Portuguese Lessons with a tutor, which is exciting as well.

Here are all my classes:

Inglês, Português, Alemão, Filosofia, Historia, MACs, and Educação Física.

In English…

English, Portuguese, German (SWEET!), Philosophy, History, Math, and PE

Random observation: Guys dress WAY better here than at home. Nice shoes and jackets, pants that fit, pay a bit of attention into the hair. Doesn’t make them any more mature but is kind of funny, way nice. And I’m almost done with my book…I hope I’ll get that package soon from Mom or I will be so bored.

Oh and I was talking a bit with Fernando and he said that he didn’t know about AFS, but if I wanted to invite a friend from the US to come and stay for a few days, he was fine with it. Let me just say: AHHHH THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!!!!! Though I wouldn’t want anyone coming before April, because that would make me even more homesick, but anytime after April would probably be fine, especially since after then I would know the family better and be on the downhill road home.

I talked with Martina just now and it was so good to compare experiences and talk and stuff. We’re gonna try and hopefully meet up Monday when I’m in Lisboa, and perhaps she will be able to come and stay a weekend in February or March. Today has ended MUCH better than it started!

Até logo!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Caroline! This was a great entry as it shows that you are moving forward and that things are looking up!! Now that you have your own real classes the opportunity for new friendships grows exponentially. Life is going to change for you now girl! Also it sounds like Fernando wont have any problem with Kip coming to visit you so hopefully yall can set that up soon. Hang in there Caroline. You are doing an amazing thing and will never regret your decision to explore the world a bit. Thinking of you often, Mrs M

Anonymous said...

Okay this is emma but I don't have a blogger account so it's "anonymous." I'm glad things are looking up! it's so awesome that you're basically taking three languages... yes, I'm counting english as a language. you'll be like quadrilingual. or whatever. =D I miss you and joe beans excursions so much!!!!!! talk to you soon. =)

Emma said...

I'm testing to see if my gmail account will work. ha ha. so this really has no substance. =)