Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Today, I suppose, is the real start of my adventures. We started our Gateway Orientation today and yea...long talks/lectures about stuff. Long day in general. Some people here got caught doing some not so good stuff by the volunteers just now (don't worry I was NOT among them) so I dunno what's gonna happen with that. Drama already. I've mainly been hanging with Alyssa though and we've just been goofing off and hanging out around the computer. I'm really sad that she has a late departure though, cause she would've made an awesome travelling buddy. The 2 women running the Orientation are...characters. Oldish and loud and...yea.

There are 6 people here going to Portugal and 6 going to Ghana. This number could perhaps change because of the incident,though I won't go into detail. All the other Portugal people seem pretty cool. My roommate's actually from Juno, Alaska, which is pretty awesome. As I said, I really wish Alyssa was coming with us on the flight and to the orientation is Lisbon.

New York was definitely fun. Lots of visiting colleges and such. My parents and Wes saw Young Frankenstein on broadway tonight, which I am thoroughly jealous of, though I will be on a plane to Europe in less than 24 hours, so I guess I don't have a lot of room to talk. I have no idea when the next time is I'll be able to access internet, perhaps tomorrow but I may not have time. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Caroline! This is my first time leaving a comment on your blog - hope I do it right! I'm glad you didn't get mixed up with the kids who got in trouble. How dumb of them! And I'm actually glad you're going to Portugal instead of Ghana. Africa = too scary for moms. Stay focussed even if sometimes your leaders aren't too "leaderly". It's all part of the learning experience. And fortunately your host family seems "nice and cool"! We saw Young Frankenstein last night, and it was hysterically funny. Maybe you can see it on the way back or later this summer. Wes has already commented that it's very quiet without you around. It's going to be a quiet six months! Anyway, have a super trip over - I'm hoping that by some miracle Alyssa's visa shows up today and she can come with you. You'll see her later, though, even if she can't. Keep writing in the blog = it's really fun to read what you're doing. Hope to hear from you Sunday in the "official call". We'll try to stay home till we get it! Safe travels!
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Caroline,
Young Frankenstein was terrific! (Sorry.) You have a great time in Portugal - we'll talk to you on Sunday.
Oh, by the way, save your Metrocard - it will still be good when you return this summer.
Love, Dad